Studying in Australia

International students are offered comprehensive information to assist them in preparing for their travels to Australia, and once you have arrived.

We ensure that you have a basic understanding of each of the issues that affect international students either prior to commencing their studies, during their studies or after having completed their studies with us.

There are many up to date sources of information to assist you in preparing you for your travels to Australia, these include;

ESOS Information

The Education Services for Overseas Students Act 2000 (ESOS) provides assurances of quality education and consumer protection for you, as an international student studying in Australia. The Act places obligations on both the Education Provider (ACAE) and the student (you). We are required to provide you with specific information and advise you correctly so that you can make informed decisions.

The ESOS Framework

The ESOS Act (2000) and associated legislative framework, protects your interests and ensures high quality education services. The legislation has minimum standards on a range of issues that ACAE must follow.

You can find detailed information on the ESOS Framework on the Australian Education International website.

The ESOS Framework also links with migration laws and imposes visa related reporting requirements on both students and education providers.

You can access more information on your rights and responsibilities by obtaining a copy of The ESOS Framework (Providing quality education and protecting your rights).

Please note that the ESOS Framework only applies to you if you are studying on a student visa. If you are studying on other visa subclasses (e.g. business, spouse etc.), you are not bound by this legislation.


Tuition Fees

International students living overseas must pay their first semester fees well before departure so they will have enough time to obtain visas. You should be aware of the cost of studying and living in Australia and organise adequate financial resources before leaving your home country.


You will require a valid passport to travel to Australia and this may be obtained at your Government's consulate or embassy. The issue of a passport can take up to 2-3 months in some countries so make sure you apply well in advance of your course commencement date. Your student visa cannot be issued until you have a valid passport.


You will need to carry with you approximately $500-$1000 to cover expenses in Australia for the first few days. You should also arrange to bring other funds in Australian Dollars either in the form of a bank draft or by electronic funds transfer. It is safer to transfer funds electronically when depositing large sums of money into bank accounts. You will be given further information about the Australian banking system at Orientation.

Medical History

It is important to know your own health history. Prior to departure, ask your family doctor exactly what immunisations or medications you have been given in the past. It is also a good idea to bring this information in writing in case of illness while in Australia.

Electrical Goods

Electrical goods in Australia operate on 240V. Check that any electrical items that you bring e.g. hairdryers, Walkman, ricecookers, can be adapted.

Customs Information

Australia has very strict Customs regulations to prevent drugs, diseases and pests being brought into the country. On the plane you will be given a Customs Declaration Form to complete. You should declare any goods you are not sure about and any articles in excess of your duty free allowance. Making a false declaration is a serious offence and may result in heavy fines or the seizure of goods. Please note when packing for your trip that certain food, plant and animal products are prohibited imports. Remember that almost every kind of food product is available in W.A. so you will be able to find ingredients here for your favourite dishes!

Conditions of Student Visa

Listed below are some of the conditions of the Student Visa you will need to abide by but please refer to the Australian Immigration website for current information:

  • Students must be enrolled on a full time course and make satisfactory course progress for each study period.
  • Students must maintain satisfactory attendance and course progress for each study period.
  • Students must remain with the education provider with which you originally enrolled for the first 6 months of the principle course.
  • Students must maintain adequate arrangements for health insurance during their stay in Australia.
  • Students who are under 18 years of age must maintain accommodation, support and general welfare arrangements that are approved by the education provider.
  • Students must notify their education provider of their residential address in Australia within 7 days of arriving in Australia as well as any further changes that occur during their period of enrolment.
  • Students must maintain enough money to pay for travel, tuition and living expenses for the duration of their stay in Australia.
  • Student cannot work more than 20 hours per fortnight (two weeks) during each study period.

Student under 18 years of age

Parental permission

  • If you are under 18 years of age, your parents and/or legal custodian must give permission for you to study in Australia.

Accommodation and welfare arrangements

  • If you are under 18 years of age, you must have acceptable arrangements for your accommodation, support and general welfare for the duration of your student visa or until you turn 18 (whichever happens first).
  • You must show that you will either:
    • live in Australia with your parent or legal custodian
    • live in Australia with a relative over 21 years of age who is nominated by your parent or legal custodian
    • live in Australia under a welfare arrangement that has been approved by your education provider.

Welfare provided by a parent or legal custodian

  • If your parent or legal custodian will be providing welfare for you during your stay in Australia, this should be indicated at the time your “Application for Admission” is submitted.
  • You can arrange to bring a parent or legal custodian to Australia as your carer on a Student Guardian visa.

Welfare provided by a relative

  • If a relative will be providing welfare for you during your stay in Australia your parents and/or legal custodians will need to give their written permission for this arrangement when your “Application for Admission” is submitted. The name of your relative must be also nominated.
  • Your nominated relative must be one of the following and over 21 years of age:
    • brother or sister
    • stepbrother or stepsister
    • step-parent
    • grandparent
    • step-grandparent
    • aunt or uncle
    • step-aunt or step-uncle
    • niece or nephew
    • step-niece or step-nephew
    • spouse

Welfare provided by an education provider

  • ACAE does not provide welfare for students.

Change of welfare arrangements

  • It is a requirement of your visa that appropriate welfare arrangements be maintained during your stay in Australia.
  • If you do not maintain adequate welfare arrangements during your stay in Australia your student visa may be cancelled.
  • If you intend to change your welfare arrangements at any time you must have written approval for this change. Depending on your circumstances, this approval must come from either your parents/legal custodian or your education provider and the department must be notified.
  • If you are changing your welfare arrangements from education provider approved arrangements to welfare provided by a relative, you must lodge a completed form 157N with the Department of Immigration and Border Control (DIBP).
  • If you do not maintain adequate welfare arrangements during your stay in Australia your student visa may be cancelled.

Further details regarding obligations for Students Under 18 years of age may be viewed at the DIBP website www.immi.gov.au


Dependants of international students can stay with you, while studying in Australia, if their names are included on your student visa application. Dependants who are not included in your student visa application and who would like to come to Australia later, need to apply separately for visas. Their type of visa will be the same as a student visa and will have similar conditions to those outlined above.

Dependants of international students can attend a government or non-government school. Annual fees range from $4,000 for primary education to $15,000 for secondary education.