Find out more about this course
Tel: +61 (0)8 9322 3202
or fill out the form below
SIT30816 - Certificate III in Commercial Cookery
1 Year Full Time; Part-Time also available
Delivered in Perth and Melbourne
Qualifying as a chef in Australia is now more flexible than ever. This certificate provides students with a broad cross section of theoretical knowledge and practical skills training in fully equipped commercial kitchens, ensuring graduating students are job ready for their career as a commercial chef.
The course includes eight subjects designed to reflect the modern kitchen skill sets required of all chefs. The primary method of delivery is to provide students with maximum time in one of our commercial kitchens, ensuring optimal exposure to working with a broad range of fresh products, ingredients, cooking styles and techniques.
Students also complete an industry work placement with a minimum of 312 hours. The placements are organised by ACAE.
Course Subjects SIT30816
C001: FOOD SAFETY
- SITXFSA001Use hygienic practices for food safety*
- SITXWHS001Participate in safe work practices
- SITXFSA002Participate in safe food handling practices
C002: INTRODUCTION TO COOKERY
- SITHCCC001Use food preparation equipment
- SITHKOP001Clean kitchen premises and equipment
- SITHCCC007Prepare stocks, sauces and soups
C003: COOKERY METHODS AND OPERATIONS
- SITXINV002Maintain the quality of perishable items
- SITHCCC005Prepare dishes using basic methods of cookery
- BSBWOR203Work effectively with others
- SITHCCC011Use cookery skills effectively
C004: COLD LARDER AND THE ENVIRONMENT
- SITHCCC006Prepare appetisers and salads
- BSBSUS201Participate in environmentally sustainable work practices
- SITXHRM001Coach others in job skills
C005: INTRODUCTION TO PATISSERIE, DIETARY AND COSTING
- SITHKOP002Plan and cost basic menus
- SITHCCC019Produce cakes, pastries and breads
- SITHPAT006Produce desserts
- SITHCCC018Prepare food to meet special dietary requirements
C006: HOT KITCHEN 1
- SITHCCC008Prepare vegetables, fruit, eggs and farinaceous dishes
- SITHCCC013Prepare seafood dishes
- SITHCCC012Prepare poultry dishes
- SITHCCC014Prepare meat dishes
C007: INDUSTRY PLACEMENT
- SITHCCC020Work effectively as a cook
C008: HOT KITCHEN 2
- SITHCCC002Prepare simple dishes
- SITHCCC015Produce and serve food for buffets
- SITHCCC021Prepare specialised food items
*Denotes a pre-requisite unit that needs to be completed before other units are undertaken.
- Subjects indicated are not necessarily in the order in which they will be taught however all subjects must be taken in the order that they are offered and at the discretion of the Management Committee for all courses at ACAE.
- The course is not suitable for persons unable to handle meat, seafood, poultry, nuts or dairy products.
- The information in this brochure is correct at the time of publishing; all programs may be subject to ongoing review by the Management Committee and in accordance with Training Package requirements from time to time.
- Overseas Students must be enrolled in a full-time course.
- Please be aware that the uniform requirements for the kitchen are compulsory and no concessions
can be made.
It is important to note that ACAE adopts a number of assessments items or tools that are designed to best suit your course and the knowledge and skills that is required to be demonstrated by each participant. All assessments are identified clearly in our subject guides which are provided to students upon enrolment. The subject guide provides a great amount of detail on the timing and style of assessment. It is important to note that participants need to demonstrate competency through each of the prescribed assessment items throughout your time enrolled in the course. In general the following assessment items apply for this course.
- Practical Demonstrations
- Knowledge Based Tests
- Case Studies
- Industry Placement Portfolios
- Check points
Click here if you wish more detail for each assessment item
Domestic Student Fees
International Student Fees